- Title: 아름다운 그대에게 / Areumdawun Geodaeege
- Also known as: To the Beautiful You / Hana Kimi / For You in Full Blossom
- Genre: Romance, comedy, youth
- Episodes: 16
- Broadcast network: SBS
- Broadcast period: 2012-Aug-15 to 2012-Oct-04
- Air time: Wednesday & Thursday 21:55
- Original Soundtrack: To the Beautiful You OST
- Related TV shows: Hua Yang Shao Nian Shao Nu (CTS/GTV, 2006), Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (Fuji TV, 2007), Hanazakari no Kimitachi e 2011 (Fuji TV, 2011, Remake)
- Gmtn96’s rating: 4/5 stars
- Watch on Dramafever and hulu
- Watch with any language subtitle on ViKi by The Beautiful Team
The series centers on Goo Joo Hee (Choi Seol Ri), a Korean girl who lives in the United States. One day, she sees a track and field competition on TV, and becomes attracted to one of the high jump competitors, Kang Tae Joon (Min Ho). She begins to idolize the young athlete and eventually transfers to Korea to attend the same school that Tae Joon attends after he suffers an accident that could potentially end his career. However, Tae Joon attends an all-boys high school and Jae Hee must disguise herself as a boy to enter.
- Choi Sulli as Goo Jae Hee
- Min Ho as Kang Tae Joon
- Kang Chan Hee as child Tae Joon
- Lee Hyun Woo as Cha Eun Kyul
- Noh Gang Min (노강민) as child Eun Kyul
- Kim Ji Won as Seol Han Na
- Suh Joon Young as Ha Seung Ri
- Kang Ha Neul as Joo Ji Chul
- Hwang Kwang Hee as Song Jong Min
- Extended Cast
- Yoo Min Kyu as Jo Young Man
- Kim Ian (김이안) as Na Chul Soo
- Ki Tae Young as Doctor Jang Min Woo
- Lee Young Eun as Korean teacher Lee So Jung
- Kang Kyung Joon as Athletic team coach Baek Gwang Min
- Lee Han Wie as Hwang Gye Bong
- Sun Woo Jae Duk as Kang Geun Wook
- Ahn Hye Kyung as Sports reporter Yang Seo Yoon
- Lee Ah Hyun as Director Jang
- Julien Kang as Daniel
- Choi Jong Yoon as Min Wook
- Yoo Ra (유라) as Lee Eun Young
- Jung Eun Joo (정은주) as Hong Bo Hee
- Song Ji Soo (송지수) as Shin Myung Hwa
- Kim Woo Bin as John Kim (Jae Hee’s first love) (cameo, ep 9-10)
- Sang Choo (상추) as muscle student (cameo, ep 1 & 6)
- Park Tae Sung (박태성) as Chang Yun (cameo, ep 3-4)
- Hong Rok Gi (홍록기) as DJ in charge of the party (cameo, ep 2)
- EXO-K as idol singers at the party (cameo, ep 2)
- Jung Yoo Geun (정유근) as Jae Kyul (cameo, ep 4)
- Led Apple as Shut Up band (cameo, ep 6)
- Go Soo Hee as woman at school cafetaria (cameo, ep 2)
- Jung Hye-Seong – Hong Bo-He
- Kang Chan-Hee – Kang Tae-Joon (young)
- Sehun – member of EXO-K (ep.2 cameo)
- Chanyeol – member of EXO-K (ep.2 cameo)
- Suho – member of EXO-K (ep.2 cameo)
- Baekhyun – member of EXO-K (ep.2 cameo)
- Kai – member of EXO-K (ep.2 cameo)
- D.O. – member of EXO-K (ep.2 cameo)
- Ko Su-Hee – old woman at school cafeteria (ep.2 cameo)
- Nam Ji-Hyun – Hong Da-Hae (ep.5 – 8 cameo)
- Kim Woo-Bin – John Kim (ep.9-10 cameo)
Production Company: SM Entertainment
Director: Jun Ki Sang
Screenwriter: Lee Young Chul
|Date||Episode||TNmS (%)||AGB Nielsen (%)|
- The ratings of these episodes exceeded its original broadcast in the rerun:
- Episode 2 nationwide rating (6.0%) and seoul rating (7.1%). – Source: TNmS Media Korea
- The first four episodes were edited into a 70 minutes show and SBS aired this special episode on August 26th at 13:15 KST. – Source
- The average rating calculation does not include special.
- “To The Beautiful You” is based on Hisaya Nakajo’s manga series “Hanazakari no Kimitachi e” (published by Hakusensha 1996-2004).
- Drama series will be produced by S.M. Entertainment.
- Filming begins June, 2012.
- “To The Beautiful You” takes over the Wednesday & Thursday 21:55 time slot previously occupied by “Ghost” and will be followed by “The Great Seer” on October 10, 2012.
- First script reading took place on June 7, 2012 at the SBS Ilsan Production Studio. Minho, Sulli, Lee Hyun-Woo, Kim Ji-Won and other cast members attended the reading.
- Actor Minho received training in the high jump by former national high jumper and coach Kim Tae-yong.
- “To The Beautiful You” is the first drama series to implement the “bullet time” technique popularized in the U.S. film “The Matrix”. The technique was implement on July 20th, 2012 at the World Cup stadium in Daegu, South Korea. The staff implemented 105 different cameras to shoot Tae-Joon’s (Minho) high jump scene. This scene will be shown in ep.1 of “To The Beautiful You”.
- Ep.8 (scheduled to air September 6, 2012) features Kang Tae-Joon (Minho) and Koo Jae-Hee (Sulli) reenacting a famous scene from SBS drama series “Secret Garden” starring Ha Ji-Won and Hyun-Bin. The scene consists of the two characters making eye contact while performing sit-ups. Filming for that scene took place on August 28 at a university gym in Icheon, South Korea.
- Actor Kim Woo-Bin makes a guest appearance in ep.9 and ep.10. He will play Jae-Hee’s (Sulli) first love John Kim. His character is written as a world famous photographer. When Jae-Hee and John Kim have a sweet moment together, Tae-Joon (Minho) and Eun-Gyeol (Lee Hyun-Woo) become jealous.
- 2012 SBS Drama Awards: New Star Award (Choi Seol Ri)
- 2012 SBS Drama Awards: New Star Award (Min Ho)
- 2012 SBS Drama Awards: New Star Award (Lee Hyun Woo)
I am looking forward to this, but only for one thing: how good is this going to be? Is this going to go beyond my expectations? Or they shouldn’t have done this in the first place?
Well as for the cast I have to say that Choi Min Ho is a great match for the character of Sano Izumi (Kang Tae Joon). Because he can really pull a serious face and Sano Izumi is all about that. As for Choi Seol Ri (Ashiya Mizuki – Goo Jae Hee) she’s a good actress, I thing this could be kind of a challenge for her (But that’s what acting is all about, no?).
I have to take a break here. I’m really not that excited with the cast, I sincerely feel that there’s a spark or something missing to make me say “This is REALLY going to be better than the Japanese version!!”. But even so that I don’t have that excitement I will watch it and then review it to say how horrible it was or how awesome it was, because I do not really want to add another horrible drama for the 2012 list and say “Give me my hours back!! This was a waste of my time, stupid writer!!!”. Now back to my character review.
As for Lee Hyun Woo doing Nakatsu Shuichi (Cha Eun Kyul) there’s a part on trailer #1 where he splash water on his face and says “What’s going on with me?” that right there is the part of the whole drama that I’m looking forward to. Back when I was watching the original Japanese version of this drama I was ROFL every time Nakatsu started wondering about his sexuality (here) and the stupidities (here) he always said on his monologue. Those are the key parts of that character. Specially when he see some woman’s underwear and he says: “Ore wa Homo janai!!” (here). I really like Lee Hyun Woo’s acting, the first time I saw him on KBS2‘s The Equator Man he did an awesome acting, and I think he’ll do good acting as Cha Eun Kyul.
Sources: koreandrama.org, dramawiki, asianwiki