- Title: 옥탑방 왕세자 / Oktabbang Wangseja
- Also known as: Attic Prince
- Genre: Fantasy, comedy, romance
- Episodes: 20
- Broadcast network: SBS
- Broadcast period: 2012-Mar-14 to TBA
- Air time: Wednesday & Thursday Night 21:55
‘Rooftop Prince’ has themes of time-travel.
After the death of the Crown Prince Lee Kak’s wife, the Crown Prince transports 300 years into the future and arrives in 21st century Seoul, South Korea with his retainers. In the present day Seoul, the Crown Prince meets Joo Se-Na, who has an uncanny resemblance to his deceased Princess.
Past Joseon era (300 years ago)
Lee Kak (later played by Micky Yoochun) is the Crown Prince. When he is ready to marry, Lee Kak wants to marry a beautiful woman. Boo-Yong (later played by Han Ji-Min) and Hwa-Yong (later played by Jung Yoo-Mi) are sisters. Hwa-Yong, the older sister wants to marry Crown Prince Lee Kak, but her father makes it clear that younger sister Boo-Yong will marry the Crown Prince. Hwa-Yong is so upset, she uses an an iron to burn Boo-Yong’s face, pretending it was an accident. Now, Boo-Yong carries a big scar on her face. Eventually, older sister Hwa-Yong marries Crown Prince Lee Kak. Time passes and are now adults. Younger sister Boo-Yong is now a smart woman, good with needlework. Older sister Hwa-Yong is uneasy that her husband, Crown Prince Lee Kak, and Boo-Young get along well. One day, Crown Prince Lee Kak wakes up in the early morning. He finds that Hwa-Yong is not next to him. He feels something strange about the situation and calls for an eunuch. At this time, an eunuch comes running to the Crown Prince and informs him that Hwa-Yong is found dead in a pond. Lee Kak suspects that his wife’s death is not by accident. He puts together a team to investigate his wife’s death. When the team awaits to interview a witness, a group of assassins appears and chases them. Crown Prince Lee Kak and his men are chased to the edge of a cliff. The group jumps off the cliff.
Present Day Seoul 2012
When Park Ha (later played by Han Ji-Min) was young, her father remarried and Park Ha gained older step-sister Se-Na (later played by Jung Yoo-Mi). When their parents left for work, older step-sister Se-na despised having to take care of her younger sister. One day, while younger sister Park Ha sleeps inside a truck, the truck suddenly departs. Even though Se-Na sees the truck leaving, she turns around and pretends that it isn’t happening. Time passes, younger sister Park Ha is now living in America. While, Park Ha sells fruits as a sidewalk vendor, Yong Tae-Yong (Micky Yoochun) sees her and feels a connection with Park Ha. Yong Tae-Moo (Lee Tae-Sung) appears in front of Yong Tae-Young. They are cousins. The following day, the two men boards a yacht. While the boat is sailing, they have a small fight and Yong Tae-Yong falls into the water. His cousin doesn’t attempt to save Yong Tae-Yong and actually attempts to hide evidence that he was there. He then jumps into the water and swims away. At this time, younger sister Park Ha receives a phone call that her family has been located in South Korea. Park Ha travels to South Korea and learns that her father has just passed away. At her father’s funeral, Park Ha meets her step-mother and older step-sister Se-Na. Park Ha has no memory of how she was separated from her family. Park Ha settles down in Seoul. One night, when she comes back to her rooftop room, she discovers four men, in Korean traditional clothing, sitting in her room.
- Micky Yoochun as Lee Gak
- Choi Won Hong as young Lee Gak
- Han Ji Min as Park Ha
- Jun Min Seo as young Park Ha
- Lee Tae Sung as Yong Tae Moo
- Jung Yoo Mi as Hong Se Na
- Kim So Hyun as young Se Na
- Lee Min Ho as Song Man Bo
- Choi Woo Shik as Do Chi San
- Jung Suk Won as Woo Yong Sul
- Ban Hyo Jung as President Yeo
- Lee Moon Shik
- Kim Ja Ok
- Kim Yong Gun
- Kim Yoo Suk
- Kang Byul
- Lee Won Jong
- “Rooftop Prince” takes over the SBS Wednesday & Thursday 21:55 time slot previously occupied by “Take Care of Us, Captain” and will be followed by “Ghost” in May.
- First script reading took place at SBS Ilsan Production Center on February 1, 2012. Prior to the script reading main actors has a camera test in traditional costumes.
- Filming for “Rooftop Prince” began February 4, 2012. On February 7, 2012 a traditional wedding scene was filmed involving child characters of Crown Prince Lee Kak and Sena (see images #1 & #2 in Image Gallery). Filming for this scene took place Gyeonghui Palace in Seoul.
- This SBS drama previously set to air on 14/March/2012 but delay to 21/March/2012 due to the delay of The King 2hearts (MBC) and The Equator Man (KBS2). These three dramas will start on same day and same time. (Source)
- – Park Yoo Chun & Park Yoo Hwan’s father passed away on 14/March/2012 while they are filming for Rooftop Prince (SBS) & The Strongest K-POP Survival (Channel A) which will be airing on 21/March/2012 & 19/March/2012. (Funeral)
Watch with any language subtitles here.
Watch with English subtitles here.
Read the recaps for every episode here.